Following are general definitions of some of the common terms used in the lighting industry as well as some of the terms we use in describing our products and techniques:

Damp Location – Exterior locations where the fixture is not directly exposed to wet conditions such as a driven rain or snow.

Distressed – A random texture that is hand-applied to surfaces of our metals.

Dry Location – Interior locations.

Lamp – Generic term for a light bulb of any type. Our fixtures are provided without lamps.

Lamp Life – The average rated life of a lamp in hours as provided by the lamp manufacturer.

Lumens – The unit used to measure the quantity of light output by a lamp. Since our fixtures are decorative in nature, we do not provide photometric data which describes the light output of our fixtures.

Peened/Peening – A random, hand-applied texture of round indentations achieved with a ball-peen hammer.

Punching – Hand-punched holes used for decoration and dramatic light patterns in our fixtures.

Tinning – On copper and brass, we use this technique to apply solder to the metal surface to achieve a pewter-like color in decorative patterns. It is usually bordered by punching around the tinned area.

Voltage – The measure of electrical power supply brought to the fixture by the building’s wiring. Typically, residential wiring is 120 volt while commercial wiring can be 120 or 277 volt. For a 277 volt power supply we can provide compact fluorescent or integrated LED lamping in our fixtures.

Watts/Wattage – The unit used to measure power consumption of a lamp. Our fixtures are labeled with the maximum wattage that may be used. Refer to this handy chart for wattage equivalencies and lumen output across incandescents, CFLs, and LEDs:

Light Output LEDs CFLs Incandescents
Lumens Watts Watts Watts
450 4-5 8-12 40
750-900 6-8 13-18 60
1100-1300 9-13 18-22 75-100
1600-1800 16-20 23-30 100
2600-2800 25-28 30-55 150


Wet Location – Exterior locations where the fixture is directly exposed to wet conditions such as a driven rain or snow.


Check back soon for installation instructions.

Care and Maintenance

Download our operating and maintenance instructions for Two Hills Studio fixtures.

UL Listings

We provide Underwriters Laboratories (UL) labeling on most of our light fixtures for dry, damp, or wet locations. These listings are applicable for both incandescent, compact fluorescent, and LED (screw-in) lamping in the United States and Canada.